on 6 October 2010
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom and receiving a facile email intimating that I'm technophobe. I returned the unit for a refund.

Then I found a really helpful guy in Halfords - he told me this model has a 2gb memory (and no facility to increase). It's delivered with about 1.7gb of files pre-loaded (including the UK & Western Europe Map) - but if you look at the free map update (which now includes Turkey) it exceeds 2gb - so it erases the original, finds it can't fit on the new map and offers either Central Europe or Eastern Europe instead - both are less than 2gb but neither include UK.

Tom Tom dropped a brick with this model and map update combination: The specialist suppliers are NOT recommending XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) for this reason. So whatever you do DON'T DOWNLOAD A MAP UPDATE if you bought the UK ROI & Europe version until they've fixed this bug.
1717 Comments| 1,274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?