on 16 October 2012
I succumbed to the purchase of this CD after much heart-felt pleading from my ten year old daughter, who faithfully promised that she would pay me back out of her pocket money; anything, anything to have this album. Meanwhile my heart was sinking with the vision of future car journeys accompanied by another run-of-the-mill boy-band producing frothy anodyne pop; musical wallpaper which would quickly drive us mad.

We got in the car. The CD was excitedly anticipated by some, but dreaded by others.

Oh yes, I sort of recognise the first track, must have heard it before, it's ok actually...Hmm, the second track begins in quite an interesting way...And so on. The 4th track's my favourite and I look forward to it every time, but then I like track 3 too. And 7, and of course track 1 is great.

I feel I know the boys now and I like them. I even know their names. I've started reading news articles about them.

My elder daughter has gone from deriding her sister's favourite as "rubbish" to downloading the album onto her phone so she can listen more often.

In short it's a hit, an unexpected and wonderful hit with all the family. It's feel-good music, full of hooks and with shifts of harmony which engage even the most resistant of listeners. The lyrics are teenage, yes, but heck we were all teenagers once.

And secretly I now look forward to car journeys. Though I can't let on.
100 people found this helpful