on 11 April 2013
I borrowed this book from the library, then because the first item I made was so good, I bought my own copy so I could keep making more. Most of the items in the book are very pretty, and the styles are quite current. there is however a heavy bias towards girls. The projects are graded in difficulty from one to three. The one star items are very simple, I made a lovely cardigan in only a week, and a ripple blanket pretty quickly too. I then tried some of the three star items and it has not gone well at all. Some patterns are very difficult to follow, and it would really help if after a lot of increasing or decreasing the stitch count was given at the end of a row so that you could check. I have been trying to make the toggle cardigan and after several attempts I just can't get my sleeves to line up with the arm holes so have given up and made up my own pattern. So far I have made four projects, two were lovely and two disastrous.
EDIT: I have reduced my star rating because I am now certain that the problems are due to the patterns, not my skills. For example, the Hooded Jacket, if made with perfect tension according to the instructions the pieces simply don't fit together, the fabric is stiff and horrible, and shape is wrong. To get a wearable item I need to use a different hook size, different tension, more increasing- basically make up my own pattern.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.