5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought one, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Mondaine Men's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap A660.30328.11SBB (Watch)
Mondaine Giant watch

Before buying this watch, I spent a considerable time assessing which watches Mondaine make, which ones I liked the most, and the respective availability and prices of those models.

Deliberations about what permutations of day and date I wanted, I settled on a plain face. Whilst it is nice to have extensive functionality on a watch, there are chronographs, digital watches, smart phones, and even apple watches for that sort of thing. These watches mimic a design icon, the Swiss railway clock; with that in mind, a plain, striking uninterrupted face is what I chose.

Further choice is presented when choosing whether you would like a lugged or lugless watch body. Again, appreciative of the minimalistic aesthetic of the Swiss railway clock, I plumped for the giant, the only lugless model available.

The final decision was strap colour. White would get too grubby or require too much cleaning, red seems unavailable on the giant; black was he only remaining option, not that a brightly coloured strap or metal bracelet would enhance the appeal of this beguiling watch.

On delivery day, the opening process was a treat. The box is bold black and white, weighty item, with red accents. The lid lifts back to reveal the striking black and white face of your new watch, accented only by the mighty, bulbous red second hand and a tiny red rectangle beneath the Mondaine motif.

Removing the watch from the box, the bright body is pleasingly heavy without being cumbersome. It too is accented by a single point of red, the enamelled red crown with an `M' in silver. In contrast to the bold body, the strap is thin, fine, supple and elegant, seemingly disappearing beneath the giant face of the watch.

Putting the watch on, I was slightly dismayed to find that the strap only did up on the penultimate hole. My wrist is 20cm / 7.9" around. Men, or even women with larger wrists than me would need to buy a new 22mm leather strap that is longer than the original. This expense is not ideal but shouldn't put you off of buying the watch. Both Amazon and eBay offer a bounty of straps to fit this watch. The short `tail' pulled through the buckle of the strap means that the second, floating keeper I obsolete, perhaps I will remove it.

Adjusting the time on the watch is easy enough but the crown can feel very small and slippery as it lacks any knurling or texture.

The large, lightly domed glass atop the watch insures an unobstructed view of the beautiful face of the watch. My only worry is that it is the highest point of the watch and may become scratched or damaged if rubbed or bashed into things like walls and door frames. Durability is only established over time, but I haven't read of anyone breaking one yet...

Whilst I have tried to be as honest as I can, picking up all faults where possible, really, there aren't any. They are minor niggles that can be worked around. I bought this watch because it is aesthetically unique and completely different from my usual watches (Casio G-shocks). I bought this watch because I can't think of an occasion or event where it wouldn't be acceptable to wear it; for that reason it represents good value to me at just over £150 (considering what could be spent on a `smart' watch). I bought this watch on the strength of the reviews I have read.

Finally, I treated myself to this watch as I have wanted one for a long time and I am extremely pleased with it.

PS In a half hour lunch break, I got two compliments on the watch - which was nice...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]