on 15 December 2013
I have recently purchased the Panasonic SA-PMX9DBEBS (which is the model number on the front of unit rather than than the one in the listing - not sure there is any difference) specifically for a reasonably small room.

I bought this without hearing it in action - bit of a risk (and there is a lack of reviews - the What Hi Fi only came-out after I bought it and gave it a solid review) but I managed to listen to the Panasonic PMX7 (the same without WI-FI function). The sound on the model I tried was very good so I expected that this would be the same but with the additional connectivity features and that seems about right. I've had it set-up a couple of days and although you usually have to 'run the speakers in' it sounds very good and more than enough for my needs in this room.

I would have expected that there would have been an Internet Radio function but there doesn't seem to be. No real worry though, I have the BBC iPlayer app and other internet radio apps for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Bluetooth set-up was easy (just select the 'Bluetooth' option on the unit, turn your phone's Bluetooth, scan on the phone and it will pair without any pin number etc). I'm enjoying the Danny Baker podcast as I type and it is crystal clear! Internet connection was completed through WPS - press the button the router and away you go (it can of course be done manually).

I thought that there might be an option to connect my slightly older iPod touch on the dock, but it only seems to be a 'Lightening Connector' and so I'm relegated to connecting it through the front USB port. It charges OK but I've not got to grips with using the remote to control it though albums and get the display on the unit's LCD.

It has and it has the options of preset equalisers and the Bass and Treble knobs on the front and has given me a good warm sound with spoken word radio and music alike. I've used my usual 'reference CDs' of Radiohead's "The Bends", Alt J's "An Awesome Wave", Stone Roses' "Turns into Stone" and AC/DC's "If You Want Blood You've Got it". All sounded nice and beefy / clear / warm / punchy as I hope each would be.

It comes with a DAB aerial and picked-up 41 stations, more than good enough and around the same as any of the other DAB radios in the house. I even set-up the FM and that sounds very good as well. The CD is fine without a noisy mechanism and delivers a good sound.

I also own the Marantz CR610 paired with Q Acoustics 2010i - a superb set-up but a few hundred quid more than my new Panasonic (which I bought from the Amazon Warehouse). There isn't quite the polished feel of the Marantz set-up with this Panasonic and included speakers but the sound quality is at the higher end of what you would expect for the price. I bought it through the Amazon Warehouse for about a hundred and fifty quid less than 'full price' and it came as exactly as new and doesn't look like it has ever been unboxed.

Overall - I'm very satisfied so far. Only loses a point for the lack of Internet Radio (which perhaps you would expect as it has wi-fi) and the unintuitive iPod controls, but otherwise it is packed with features and the sound is clear and warm enough.

**UPDATE** I purchased the WD MyCloud 3TB networked hard drive. I set this up on my home network (which was as easy as following the simple instructions to connect the WD MyCloud to my wireless router with the included network cable and download the WD software). I downloaded the Panasonic Music Stream app from the Play store and this is what is used to control the networked music on the stereo - I don't think that you can use the Panasonic remote control to do this - if you can I haven't figured a way out yet but it works OK as it is. It works absolutely fine and was perhaps easier to set-up than I expected - I get easily frustrated with technology and that is usually my own fault for not reading the instructions properly!
0Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.