on 6 February 2003
I'd say Hemingway is my favourite writer of all (For Whom The Bell Tolls is my favourite novel) - but this is far from one of his best.
Endless whimsical passages about his young love, an unsympathetic and (to my mind) unlikable protagonist, a somewhat unlikely premise and an almost non-existent plot all made this a hard slog for me.
Far be it for me to criticise Hemingway's writing, but after a while this felt extravagantly self-absorbed and while that may have been therapeutic at the time, it left me wishing for the end.
I'd place this low down on a list of his must-read books. With so much great writing to compete with I wouldn't recommend this except for the Hemingway die-hard fan / student. Sorry!
What's this?