on 18 February 2013
This is a completely predictable comedy drama about the dynamics between men and women and asked the age old question; can men and women be just friends? What Your Sisters Sister has going for it however, is that it gives the illusion that it is not predictable, it is only in hindsight that you realise that it is.

If I was to use one word to describe this film it would be "quiet" or even "tranquil". The setting of a remote lake house lends its almost deafening silence to the proceedings of the story. Despite the drama that is going on in the narrative you very rarely hear a raised voice, in fact a lot of the dialogue seems to be in whispers and if not in hush tones, usually in very serine conversations.

The interaction between the characters seems to be very natural, almost as though the dialogue is improvised, I don't know if it was, I haven't really done my research, but for some reason I found it distracting, I don't know why but I felt the need for some lines that sounded rehearsed, the improvised feel of the dialogue just made me feel like I was eves dropping in on private conversations. I know that something like this can seem appealing to some movie viewers but whether it is actual improvisation or delivered like that by skilled actors, I don't know, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Saying that though, for that very reason I can't fault the actors who all play the parts. Mark Duplass plays the comic relief and almost seems like a lazy mans version of Jason Segel, I don't mean that in a bad way, Duplass just seems more down to earth less kooky and completely likable. Emily Blunt had the least interesting character because there were not many layers to her at all, also she had this weird Anglo-American accent that, coupled with the improvised delivery of dialogue, made her seem like she was on a scripted "reality" show Like The Hills or The Only Way is Essex. Rosemarie Dewitt had the most interesting Character by far, all at once you could tell she was deceptive, fragile and relentless all these aspects of her character hidden behind her huge smile that she seems to use to hide what she is really thinking. She is the one that you feel compelled to figure out, she is the one that makes you want to keep watching despite the film having a slower pace than a sloth on a lazy day. It does pay off in the middle of the film when all the secrets and deceptions come out all at once and the characters have to deal with them.

You can tell that this film has had a lot of love put into it, with its gorgeous cinematography shots of the lake and the various different bits of scenery; the look of this film simply defines the autumn. The extended scenes of dialogue that just seem to naturally pour out of the actors are something to behold even if you don't really like the style.

I can say with out a doubt in my mind that Your Sisters Sister is a labour of love and maybe that is its main problem, maybe the writer/director loved the concept of this film, the location, the look and the dialogue that she wanted to make it last as long as possible. That is well and good, but What you end up with is a film that huffs and puffs all the way to the near end of the film, before everything happens at once and then it seems like we race 100mph to the end and the film is over way before you want it to be. Then after it is all over you realise that you have been fed the usual predictable cliche's without even realising it, I really don't quite know how I feel about this film.
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink