5.0 out of 5 stars This is *NOT* your father's console..., 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Xbox One Console: Day One Edition (with FIFA 14 download code) (Console)
I have owned just about every console since the SNES and each iteration gets more powerful than the last - this one is controversial however, as it launched alongside a competitors console which (*SHOCK*) on paper is MORE powerful...
So lets jsut get that out of the way before I talk about THIS console - not being defensive, but I know how passionate the fans of each manufacturer's consoles can be and I'd rather not spark a flame war. And if it is considered that I *AM* being defensive, I could just as readily provide a similar list from the perspective of the OTHER console!...
You will only notice any difference if you find it necessary to COMPARE (launch) titles released on both platforms and - realistically - if you want the best possible performance on multiplatform titles, you shouldn't be buying them on a console...
The title WILL look better with the new generation machines than on the previous generation (xbox 360 or PS3).
You will find that there are aspects of the graphics which are better one one console and some on another (framerate / number of players in multiplayer, etc.). I'm not offering a list of those differences here - suffice it to say that such things are freely available on the web - from sites with an obvious bias one way or the other - and it can be an entertaining way to waste the hours reading the content and ensuing comments from the adoring public! My only advice - look at the whole package offered by the options available and make your own decision. If you have a choice to make, you have several hundred pounds available at your disposable and as such must at-least be an adult or careful minor... Think about what YOU want and make your choice! What I am saying here is - buy what is right for YOU and for your OWN reasons.

For me - I have bought FOUR xbox one consoles for use by the family...

The TV integration (Augmented HDMI passthrough - augmented in that the picture can be resized etc. to suit the needs of the interface in realtime) is already stunning - and MS haven't provided support for UK set top boxes yet - which they will do in early 2014, extending the functionality to give full voice control over what you are watching. There wont be control of RECORDED content - but your remote will still work for that. There is also the excellent "One Guide" - which (when implemented for UK TV) will iist all content from all channels like your regular EPG (but better looking) with additional content offered by which-ever additional sources you have enabled, e.g, Netflix, on demand TV channels, your own Sky Drive (It lists pictures etc), movies from the xbox movie service, music from xbox music - etc. And of-course this will grow. It is fully voice controlled and - here's one of the many very clever bits - it KNOWS what sound IT is making (TV via passthrough / gameplay or other services) so CANCELS this sound automatically when it is listening, so you can talk at normal levels and it will HEAR and RESPOND to you. Excellent!
If you are a supporter of the competing platform, you will now likely be commenting that the TV passthrough facility is broken for UK use because of 50hz signal being passed through a 60hz interface causing judder, etc... If you ARE commenting this, then well done! You have read the rabid comments from other sites! Personally I don't see it and I am critical about such things (could be that my Yamaha receiver is masking the issue? Dont know - there is already a well documented work around and this is only the second week, of-course MS will address it soon with a software patch!). But then - I don't watch sports which is apparently where it is most notable.
The kinect performs beautifully. I had the previous gen kinect, too - and ended up only using it for voice control. This time around, it is very responsive and offers a magical interface to games (the excellent - and free Kinect Sports Rivals preseason jet ski racing) and the machine's UI alike. The voice control is all pervasive now and can be used to control most aspects of the machines operation, including the excellent "SNAP" facilities to allow use of Skype / TV / other apps in a "Sidebar" alongside any other operation, including gaming.

But WHY did I buy it?
Two things really.
1. I am seriously into my media. The xbox one EXCELS at media. The only chinks in it's armour are lack of external USB device support (promised by MS that it is coming soon - and will enjoy proper voice control and hopfully one guide integration) and that the BluRay doesn't support BR3D playback. Nothing has been said about this but again, I am hoping that support will come soon.
2. The first party games suit me. I bought Ryse - Son of Rome and am blown away by it. It is simply NOT the QTE fest reported and much repeated in the early days of the title's development. It is a beautiful, polished and VERY playable masterpiece. If you have an Xbox One, GET Ryse. I WILL be buying Forza 5 - I have always loved the Forza series and 5 is the best yet from what I have seen and read. A friend of mine has bought Dead Rising 3 for his Xbox One and says that the framerate is generally smooth, the gameplay is hilarous. I intend to get Zoo Tycoon - I loved Christmas the year Viva Pinata was released - you can leave it playing in the background and just watch it whilst chatting to friends and having a drink... ZT promises a similar experience. My kids love Killer Instinct - never was my cuppa but I know it has a certain following and the implementation on this console is brilliant. I WANT titanFall in March - it looks to become a console defining title the way Halo was for the original Xbox and Xbox 360. - then of-course there is Halo 5 due next year. In-fact there is only ONE multi-platform title I am currently interested in and it is Destiny by Bungie - who developed the Halo franchise for Microsoft before handing over to 343 Industries...

There are many other titles in the works which I hold judgement on but look interesting enough to buy... Quantum Break by the makers of Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive etc. - so I am confident that the stream of titles will be excellent.

So how do you sum up this generation?
It's not a war. All consoles will survive and thrive. This is the One that suits me and represents much more than the competition in terms of an extended experience - which I am all for.

[Add comment]