A fascinating read with a storyline expanding over a mindboggling sweep of space and time. Superb descriptions of aliens and alien artefacts and vessels, directing me but allowing for my imagination to take off its socks and run riot on the damp grass alongside the author's own.

My interpretation of this book was that it revolved around three main protagonists, and I loathed all three of them with a train-crash fascination. Had I been one of the humans locked into "Pushing Ice" along with two of the three, I would have spaced either them or myself sans spacesuit very early in the plot. Two of these three are "leaders" of the humans for long, long periods and, to my mind's eye, were painted as vacuous, vicious, vengeful and concerned more with posturing and retribution for alleged slights than with actually running the show. The third character appears only at the very beginning and end of the story and irked mightily in their supercilious assumption of wisdom, in fact appearing to me as rather thin and watery. This, I think, I hope, is exactly as intended by the author, and it kept me reading - see the earlier reference to "train-crash".

The science in this fiction is the most delicious, cold, hard type and for those of us fatally allergic to dragons and swords and the fluffy trappings of fantasy, this book was a delight. There are vast sweeps of machines and vessels and landscapes to enjoy - inbetween hating the lead protagonists.

Most splendid. My sincere thanks to my local council mobile library for having the wee beastie aboard. Oh yes - and to the author for scribbling the beast in the first place.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.