on 23 January 2013
I purchased this 200mm Lens with image stabilisation to use with my new White Samsung NX1000 camera. I have been using it now for a month and picture quality is way better than I would expect for a lens costing so little but there are a couple of niggles people need to be aware of.

First is with focus, I have noticed that the lens does not always focus accurately and that I find myself using the focus ring to check what the auto focus is presenting. The NX1000 has a feature that allows you to use the focus ring even when auto focus is selected on the lens. This brings up an enlarged image (5X or 8X) allowing you to fine tune the focus, problem is that when you are working hand held it is pretty imposable to judge focus without a viewfinder and the screen although bright is not easy to see in bright sunshine. Also, if you try to use the lens for fairly close up work (4 to 6 metres) as I do with portraits, then the Auto Focus struggles to lock, hunting backwards and forwards whilst manual focus works fine.

Secondly, and I see someone else has made a similar comment, the lens is only available in black so if you don't have the black camera then hard luck. Seems a shame that Samsung have not chosen to colour match their lens to the camera.

It is also worth noting that due to the restricted F range of this lens even with stabilisation, you will find yourself needing to use a higher ISO setting to keep your image sharp although I found in practice that in normal lighting noise was not a serious issue and picture quality remained good.

On the plus side, the lens feels solid and well made and the results if you are careful with focusing can be excellent. I have only given 4 stars because of the niggles listed but as already mentioned, for the price (£135 at the time of purchase) you can't really go wrong.

I will post pictures to give an idea of quality.

Recommended.
review image
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?