on February 22, 2013
That Uri Geller is nothing more than a showman and conjuror is something I suspected for many years, so I looked forward to reading Randi's exposee of his "psychic" abilities. As a sceptic I had no problem accepting that Geller is a faker but I suspect that his supporters will be less convinced.
The best parts of the book are when Randi specifies the problem with lack of controls in psychic testing of Geller and where he enlightens the reader on how some of Geller's tricks can be done.
The big problem - apart from Randi's self-aggrandising style and the rubbish photos (on kindle at least) - is that we usually have to take Randi's word for it that trickery was involved.
The argument is usually along the lines of "Geller amazes someone with an effect he says is psychic; I Randi then amaze said person by replicating the effect by conjuring BUT I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU HOW." In other words trust me, not him.
Now I realise that conjurers don't like to give away their secrets but by not doing so is offering a rebuttal to Geller's admirers.
What's this?