Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, beautifully presented., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Paradise Lost (Hardcover)
I have to confess that I'd twice started reading "Paradise Lost" and not got very far with it because of the density of the language (think Shakespeare, you'll not be far off). But the themes were so much of interest to me that I wanted to give it another go and thought that an edition with Dore's always amazing illustrations might do the trick.

And, lo, it came to pass. This time around I really got into it and the language didn't seem to be any problem at all. It's hard to think of much in English literature that can compete with the incredible war in Heaven and fall into Hell. The only thing I could compare it to would be "The Ramayana".

It's a fascinating piece of writing, it's chief interest to me being the way Satan's fall from grace is paralleled with the fall of Adam and Eve. Milton gives the good guys, God, his son, hosts of angels, all the magnificence and exaltation that one would expect, but Satan is a remarkable character and there's no doubt that he gets all the good lines. I'm sure that Milton regarded himself as a good Christian, but it's easy to see that the time of unquestioning loyalty to God was coming to an end.

So, it turns out to be the masterpiece that it's always held to be. And I echo my fellow reviewer in saying that this is a lovely edition, very well produced. Dore's engravings, fifty of them, are a thing of beauty.

Very highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2011, 01:31:18 GMT
Danski says:
Thank you. Superb review. Always been a lover of Dore's work, especialy the iconic Divine Comedy plates and have only read small sections of Paradise Lost before so you have sold me on this edition.

Posted on 11 Jan 2012, 08:43:40 GMT
MRAM says:
Wonderful review, it has been very helpful, but I was wondering if it was a verse or prose edition?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012, 10:57:00 GMT
R. A. Monk says:
Well, thank you. It's very pleasing to know that a review has been of help, as that was the intention.
It's in non-rhyming verse, so is laid out as poetry, but reads as prose.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2015, 12:20:36 BST
Gerard Roda says:
Which edition are you reviewing? The Penguin Classics one or the Theophania Publishing one? I'm asking because I've seen you review in both editions, and I'm a bit confused. I'm very interested in the book, but I definitely want an edition with Doré's engravings. Thanks for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2015, 14:13:00 BST
R. A. Monk says:
Hi Gerard. My apologies, I have no idea why my review has moved to other editions, but it's the one that says Deluxe Slipcase Gift Edition, in hardback, with a Dore sunrise on the cover.

I wish you happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2015, 15:46:13 BST
TomC says:
This is a common thing that happens to Amazon product reviews - they appear under many different versions of the same work - it happens with books, CD's and DVD's too.

I don't believe that it's accidental. Amazon do it so that they appear to have more reviews than they really have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›