on 25 March 2014
I adore this book! I was genuinely surprised I liked it so much. First lets deal with the negatives -Having read some of the reviews I must say I part expected it to heavily focused on an American Market, however that would be very unfair and also not true. Yes the measures and oven settings are not what i am used to, but it has a key at the back to convert . You just have to flip a page!?and buy a set of cup measures! so to complain about that seems extremely petty!
There are also some ingredients that i imagine in America are easier to get or not readily available in the Uk ( veganise etc) but again a very minor point. Ive not bought a cook book yet that has something in it I couldnt get with difficulty! My only personal complaint would be the use of chocolate in here, albeit 60% + cocoa solids . Im trying to eliminate sugar so perhaps the use of cacao butter/powder could have somehow been incorporated instead but again thats just my preference.
I also expected the book to be vegetarian . I dont know why? so was pleasantly surprised to find lots of fish dishes, chicken and some red meat .I also expected, Im ashamed to say, to find it slightly pretentious. Its not. These are very simple, honest and thought out recipes.
Yes there is use of xylitol , raw honey, the joked about quinoa , goji berrys , rae cacao powder etc but once you have decided to eat 'clean' these items just become a familiar part of your shopping list. Of course it can be expensive but if this is the route you want to go you just have to accept that is going to be the case.
I must admit when I read the description of 'tastes so beautiful' in regards to the avocado and cacao smoothie i was, apprehensive, as i was in the first sip. Now Im addicted! The bummer bars .. again when first out the oven I must admit to burning my tongue in haste to try and wasnt sure. Cold and set the next day? Delicious and very moorish.
The book is also very simply done, lovely simple photography of the food and intimate images ofGwyneth and her family you know that this is food she really makes every day and part of a family lifestyle. It feels like a very genuine book.
I cant wait to try all the recipes. I have honestly healthy and guilt free gourmet and love those also but already I prefer this book. And no Im not an UBER fan. I just love food and cook books ...Although I did really enjoy Proof Gwyneth if you read this:)
What's this?