on 24 May 2005
I thought I'd leave some time between buying this CD and reviewing it, as Leonard Cohen is never an artist who does the obvious.
I bought this as soon as it was advertised and it was in my CD layer within a minute of being delivered. I listened and was baffled. How could a man who had produced the finest music for a generation come out with (as some early reviewers described it) a collection of half-finished outtakes.
I forced myself to listen to it again. Then I listened to it again, and again, ...and again. And I realised that with the exception of 'On That Day' (which is still a beautiful and evocative song about 9/11) these are not just songs thrown together, but a long-thought collection of poems.
Leonard all but strips away the music. There are no guitar riffs, piano rolls or clever base lines. The lyrics are all that really matter and they are astounding.
And as for the title track, 'Dear Heather'. The first time I heard it I thought it was a joke. I now find it is my all-time favorite from Cohen and this CD is never out of my car.
Listen, listen and listen again. This is not just music, it's art.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?