Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 19 December 2011
I am British and live in France with my French husband. Over the years I have met and known many families where the parents have different mother tongues and was very surprised to see and hear about the problems these families have had in raising their children to be fluent in both languages. I now have a baby of my own, and for me it is imperative that he not only grow up speaking both french and english but that he learns to read and write equally well in both. I bought this book expecting practical advice, interesting anecdotes and tips on how to overcome problems that may be encountered, instead the information is based on theory, research into bilingualism and scientific studies. I am only a third of the way through, and have skipped whole chunks because the information is superflous, uninteresting, repetitive and too scientific. I thought this book was aimed at parents, the author is obviously not a parent herself because if she were the book would be more concise, and easier to read, the kind of book you could dip in and out of.
Perhaps towards the end it become less heavy and more practical, but so far I am unimpressed with the content, layout and writing style of this book. A big thumbs down from me!
32 people found this helpful