on 26 September 2006
This is the greatest version of the Misere since The King`s College Version in 1963 by Willcocks. The high notes here not by the boys choirs and not in English but in Latin soar to such heights they are goosebump inducing. This entire recording is authentic, and quality and beautiful from start to finish. You go straight in from the first notes and it builds wonderfully and is consistent throughout. Harry Christophers seems to have a natural feel for this kind of music. I have also been very impressed with his Byrd.

This disc is a real pleasure. It is sung with care and control and yet invisably flawless in the fautlines with a sense of the beauty of the artistic or religious vision. The quality of the Sixteen here is suberb. One of their best ever recordings.

I could not believe this had no reviews so thought I would just help people along to make an informed choice here being the first reviewer.I would be interested to hear what others think. I have quite a number of Palestrina cds and other contemporary polyphonic composers and this is one of my most treasured recordings...It has a real grace to it and flow and clarity to the voices . And it is all the better to be sung in Latin musically than some of the English translations. It makes it more abstract and pure a musical experience for me. My Latin is far too rusty to make out much at all. The voices do overlap well and are very well timed. I cannot make out a single flaw in the timing but I am sure they may be some. The entire recording hangs well from start to finish like a great work of art should. This cd is also very well balanced and flows as it ought like an entire experience. I have bought a few of the cheaper Palestrina cds but I was glad to pay the extra for this cd. It really is that beautiful. It sounds authentic as as I imagine the age to sing..It has a sincerity about it if that is at all possible. It seems sung out of enjoyment and love out of a genuine passion and love for beauty, art and/or God...It is evident alot of thought has gone into the arranging and the choir really know their conductor and their notes, really quite a treasure this. One of the greatest Palestrina cds I know of. An ideal straight there to the Renaissance experience. Not sure who I am writing this review too actually.... But whatever your level of understanding of polyphonic music. This really is a beautiful disc. And it becomes more beautiful...as it goes on..with the modulating changes and soaring notes of the Misere. I am yet to know of another recording of the Misere that has such high sustained ear piercing high notes or such extended beauty. For this alone the cd is a masterpiece but the entire recording is very pure. Out of all the recordings I know of this I can imagine was sung in the Vatican in the 16th under Palestrina `s watchful eyes and ears. Track 3 is astounding...It really goes right through me with the high notes. Beautiful. Highly recommened version or a great piece of music. The sound quality of the recording is also excellent. Being the latest version of this recording of any note it is of a very high quality. I was very impressed with when I first heard this cd and it never fails to uplift and inspire me every time I play it. Which is my and most peoples acid test for quality. This cd should be out in the library a long time. Very hard to beat this version. And in my view the best one. An absolutely perfect start to Palestrina if you do not know him already. The condusting is precision but with a creative flow to it. The singers obviously know every note and have worked on every part of this as a thought out work of art. A very faithful rendition. No wonder the first Pope on hearing this music was so impressed. I would be. I quite think the singers and the conductor had this in mind when they recorded this. Beauty is upper most and grace. It also sounds good low and loud. It never fails to move. A very emotional and beautifully sung Palestrina version. Highly recommended.
44 Comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?