on 5 September 2013
As a long time wargamer and D&D player I had seen this game before, but had been put off by the price and aready had similar games. However the combination of the price drop and my son's keeness tempted me to buy a set.
If you are not a wargamer I should warn you that the figures come is bits that have to be cut off a sprue and glued together. Some figures just need tops glueing to bottoms, but others need heads, arms and weapons adding. The skeleton figures are very slim and tricky to assemble.
These multipart figures are quite common now in the wargames world, but they may come as quite a shock to someone expecting complete figures to use straight away.
As I already had dwarf and skeleton figures painted I used them to play the game while I started to paint the supplied figures. Otherwise I would have had to glue the figures together and use them unpainted, I am not sure if many folk would wait until they had painted the figures before they played the game.
The game itself was good fun to play, although the rules are quite simple it did take me quite a few games to get them right and there are still rules I have not used yet. This should mean that the game will improve as I add the extra levels of rules.
The tiles with the game are very colourful and there are lots of tokens to play with.
I would sum up; a good game which can be played as a simple game to start off with and them add extra details to make more challenging as you can progress. You can of course use the contents to play your own game, so I think this game will keep me entertained long enough to finish painting those figures.
What's this?