Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 8 May 2004
The inside cover challenges us to ‘Do less…of the corporate silliness. Ignore more of the noise and senseless stuff that comes your way. You deserve better. You deserve to spend more of you time and talent on what truly matters.’ I was in total agreement with this and wanted to see how this could be achieved.
Jensen’s 32 chapters tells us how to make this happen - this is split into 3 sections: Daily Rituals, Career Milestones and Leader Essentials. He also tells us how to use the handbook – i.e. pick out 3 or 4 chapters that you feel are most relevant, e.g. ‘How to say No to Anyone in Any Situation’; ‘How to Deal with Managers Who Pile it On: MoreMoreMore, Now!’ and follow the steps in each chapter.
These steps offer different approaches for dealing with each problem, e.g. in ‘How to say No…’ Jensen gives examples of direct and indirect responses, who these responses should be directed too, and how often each approach should be given (direct ‘No’s should be used 25% of the time with close co-workers and those you have either none or minimal personal connection with).
The layout is very accessible, paragraphs are well laid out and are given room to breathe with ample white space. The tone is chatty, direct and helpful. Although the suggested remedies are not unique, the manner in which they are presented and described left me with a feeling that whatever the problem, I was armed with several strategies I could put to use.
I was encouraged to read that my own style of regular questioning to clarify tasks was one method he actively encouraged. Up until reading this book I had felt demotivated as I could see my boss would rather I’d get on with the work (even though it may not be the best action in the short/long term). It was good to read a questioning nature plays a central part in Jensen’s survival techniques.
A part of the book I enjoyed a lot are the real life stories of how people - from the shop-floor to the most senior execs – have handled difficult situations. They show that sometimes a different approach works, and sometimes a person has to recognise when they’re bashing their head against a brick wall and move on.
Recommended.