on 26 September 2013
What Occurs:

Caymen Meyers knows only one thing about rich people: they're nothing like her.
So when Xander Spence walks into her mother's doll shop, oozing his rich all over the place, Caymen knows instantly that they have nothing to talk about. After all, if it's one thing she's learned from her mother, it's that rich men have short attention spans. They lose interest. And they always leave.

Only, Xander doesn't. He keeps coming around, despite Caymen's dry humour and scathing retorts. And, more surprisingly, she starts to enjoy it. Despite her mother's warnings, Caymen beings to wonder whether having money isn't actually a character flaw. And if it's Xander she should worry about, or her own mother.

My Thoughts:

Kasie West knows how to write witty banter. Dare I say, she manages it better than any other author on my bookshelf. Period.

Caymen is one of the funniest characters I've had read about (she actually kind of reminded my of myself. Because I'm so hilarious. Right?). She's sarcastic, quick-witted and her humour isn't at all corny, which I find is the case in most Contemporaries. Instead it's dry, playfully berating and genuinely hilarious. Caymen's the kind of gal who fires the perfect comebacks straight away, while we all think of them an hour later.

Xander was also a great leading man. He took Caymen's humour in his stride (screw 'em if they can't take a joke, right?) and returned the banter with a smile. Plus the fact that he brought her morning cups of pre-sipped hot chocolate - and, actually, pre-sipped all her drinks - was the cutest thing. And yes, I understand that anyone who hasn't read the book may find that weird and disturbing. But if you read it, you'll get it. And you'll love it.

Xander also never tries to hide his wealth or pretend he's 'just like everybody else deep down'. I mean, the guy wears driving gloves. But that was part of his charm: he was rich and he didn't hide it or flaunt it. It was just part of who he was. A fact of life. And I loved that he didn't want his money to define him or his future - he wanted to find out what his dreams were and see if they were a possibility.

Which leads me to another part of this book I loved - Xander and Caymen's 'career days', where they had turns taking each other to places they felt would help the other realise their deepest aspirations. Mostly, Caymen took the comedy route in her attempts to find Xander his place in the world, but Xander's attempts to help her were really heart-warming and considerate.

I also enjoyed the sub-plot with Caymen's mother. I was intrigued by what was going on with her and the story behind her family and it was great to be there with Caymen as she tried to figure it out.

But, as brilliant as the 'reveal' was it all just ended too quickly. There was quite a big bombshell and then BAM a nice little bow was tied on top and everything was resolved with happily ever afters. It just felt kind of rushed.

Saying that, I still really enjoyed this and finished with a smile. Sure, there were a few things I would've liked explored a little more, but that didn't matter too much, because I loved the book.

If you're looking for a sweet contemporary with a host of authentic and genuinely likeable characters (and a new boy to add to your Literary Crushes list), then I'd recommend you pick this one up. If nothing else, you'll have some great new retorts at hand to use on the next unsuspecting person who tries to mess with you!

Favourite quote: 'I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy'

Overall rating: 4/5 little birdies

For more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: http://littlebirdiebooks.blogspot.co.uk/
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink