on 9 September 2011
I have spent 54 years believing that I am not a fan of Gothic literature. I enjoyed Bram Stoker and I was taken with Shelley's Frankenstein but once the obligation to read core texts had been honoured I'd decided to give Gothic works a miss. Then 'Wait Until you Die' landed on my desktop. A gothic text. It came with another challenge; reading digital novels. Dinosaur Cherry Coombe was not impressed.
I have been through two great conversions. I found Richard's novel gripping, exciting and perhaps not gory enough. WAIT UNTIL YOU DIE is thought provoking and rich with metaphor and simile and it took me on my own parallel experience of the text. A truly exciting read. Intertextual reference will captivate the book worm and those not hampered by over-active powers of analysis will be carried along by the tale itself. I can no longer say that I am not a fan of Gothic work. I enjoyed this book. It made me think. I will read it again in a month or two. I wonder why I imagined I was not into Gothic texts.
Try it.
My second conversion is to digital reading, if that's what it's called.
OK. I confess. I'd still rather have something I can scribble on in my handbag but the fact that I was able to read WAIT UNTIL YOU DIE by Richard A Ridley between appointments at work on my lap top, and while waiting for this, that and the other at home on my iphone, has set me free from my prejudice. Amazingly, the free kindle software opens automatically on my devices. God knows how that works but it does. I have discovered the joy of storing heavy tomes in weightless form and switching between facebook and the latest Ridley text. This new world, offering me access to thousands of texts I might otherwise not bother to find, buy and cart about, lifts my spirits as long winter evenings return.
I think I'll try Richard A Ridley's 'The Gildsed Vampire' next - it's only £1 (perhaps 99p - not much anyway, last time I looked) and well worth a punt.
Cherry Coombe. Author and Lecturer in English. ORANGE