on 30 October 2003
“The Bone People” has for a long time been my all time favourite book. It must now move into second place- Song of the Rolling Earth is now No 1. “Charlottes Web” moves to No 3.
This book will connect you with the nature on your doorstep in a way which is life changing. It is a read but it is also an experience, a journey and a revelation. You will start to see and feel the nature all around you, and of which you are part, in new ways. It will, quite plain and simply, do you so much good as it is so full of hope. As a read it will have the same, exciting impact as any documentary which David Attenborough brings you from the across the globe AND, on this occasion the subjects are down your way. You just have to step outside your door or look out your window. I think that the unique gift which Sir John Lister- Kaye has is that he is deeply rooted in nature and also deeply rooted in being a human being. That, I feel is why he can communicate so well with you and me. He is a story teller and he reveals his, your world and my world, through these stories.
I have struggled to put this book down, yet not wanted to read on and on unless I was wholly attentive to what might be around the next page, ever frightened of missing something. It is also the first time that I did not want a book to come to an end and I delayed reading the final pages, as someone holding on to the last 24 hours of their holiday! Prepare also, to need space before taking up another book, once you have finished this read. It is an impossible act to follow and you need time to cherish its riches .
Everyone I know who connects and seeks a deeper connection, with nature, like my mum, our daughters' godfather,etc will receive Song of the rolling earth for Christmas and I just cannot wait to share it with them.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?