on 22 November 2012
Although I have had car sat nav for several years and a smart phone with GPS - I wanted increased accuracy and battery life of a dedicated unit. This is definitely a good unit to start with.
I got it so I could accurately Geotag photos - so it is take a photo - set a waypoint which stores the map co-ordinates. I have done a couple of road trips to USA and I want to be able to store waypoints as I drive so I can retrace my route when I get back to the UK. I have some pictures I took last year and a bit debateable exactly where I was so hoping this and a GPS enabled camera ( Nikon p510 )will enable me to view where I tool photos.

Plus points - solid build - acquires satellites quickly - good battery life. Modest price. Paperless Geocaching .

The paperless geocaching is excellent - top marks for the way it works with .gpx files - very easy to load them onto the unit 500 caches are about 2 mb with 500odd mb on the device to fill as you see fit.

Best accuracy I have had is about 2m - it can go out to 10m+ at times. Overall though a very pleasing and accurate device. I think even when the device reports accuracy of 6m it is in fact much better at times accurate to 1m - I took several waypoints along a drive in to work stopping opposite t junctions to store a waypoint - when I then checked it in Google maps it positioned my with a 1m of the junction. So I think accuracy is better than expected.

This is not a replacement for a car sat nav like the Tom Tom as it gives you a ' direction ' to travel in not turn by turn instructions - so it it up to you to pick the road to take and gradually ' xero in ' on your destination. But using it with the map view it is better than nothing at all - but not as good as TOM TOM for car navigation - then again a TOM TOM is not very good as a handheld GPS device. The best of all worlds id the HTC desire - but bear in mind with the phone the maps are streaming and using GPRS data and even with a 1gb data plan it could get expensive. The eXplorist 310 does what it does very well.

It seems as accurate as the HTC Desire S and TOMTOM car nav but they run out of power more quickly and are not as ` tough ` or waterproof. The HTC desire is streaming GPRS data to provide the Google map - so in areas of no GPRS coverage you are unable to see that map - but when you do have GPRS then the HTC is astoundingly good!

Minus points of the 310 - ` minimal maps' I was hoping for something along the lines of a basic OS map but afraid what you get is standard Magellan maps. To see the maps download the user guide or look on YouTube by searching for eXplorist 310 .... they are ok for most of the things you would want to do - but not detailed OS maps - the control joystick lags so you tend to over compensate and hit it again then it catches up with itself and ` jumps' - so it's press the joystick and be patient at times. The joystick is a 4 axis to move the cursor up down left right and press to confirm an action - it would be much better with a separate confirm button on the side of the device. The buttons are small and all a bit cramped. Small screen so sometimes actual location is a peer rather than a look.
The manual is ok - but lacks some detail - for example to delete an individual waypoint you have to go onto the co-ordinates of that specific waypoint then menu then delete - otherwise when all the waypoints listed its delete all .... Still can find it in in the manual and accidently discovered it while fiddling.
Having owned one I now know what to look for next time - but for the money I paid I am happy with it.

No plans to upgrade it yet as it does all I want.

HXP