on 17 April 2008
Lets not let them NME music know-it-alls spoil our fun, but lets have a look at the album for what it is and not let the ridiculous music politics rule our entertainment.

This album is not all that bad - I understand that this is not a massive compliment, but I feel its truthful as I felt every track done well here is slightly counterbalanced by a lesser effort. It does what the Kooks do well, but I feel they have written this in the immense shadow that was their first album II/IO. There are a lot of songs here that are a bit Kooks by numbers (Namely "Stormy Weather" and "Down to the Market"), but when listening I always have the feeling they could be doing better - after listening to Konk try listening to "See the World" on their first album to see what I mean - this track didn`t even make it as a single for fricks sake!

I heard that Pritchard wants people to be blown away when they hear the singles on the radio. This would be a slightly rose tinted version of the singles, but there are definitely some gems here. Personally I loved the first 3 tracks and the slower "One Last Time" but I don't think many other tracks have that haymaker smack in the face of the first album (how did "Do You Wana?" even get on the album - the worst track they`ve written so far - should have been replaced with "Watching the Ships" from the bonus disk). Even so, I wish the boys well and once they get II/IO out of their system and spend some time watching some other live acts who can push them creatively (Franz?) and get them inspired - take them out of their comfort zone (whichever direction or style they may choose to digest) I feel their third could be something special. The boy Pritch definitely has talent - I mean he wrote Naïve when he was 15!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink