on 20 August 2013
I've just got this today, unpacked and installed it, and I am on cloud nine.

I got it to replace a Belkin n router that was beginning to struggle - kept dropping connections and sometimes was really slow. When I discussed this once with a chap at my ISP he asked 'Belkin is it?" and gave one of those knowing sighs. Up to now I've had two Belkins and a US Robotics router-modem. But the Billion is from another planet entirely. I don't care if it sounds like they paid me to write this stuff (they didn't). I think it is possibly the best tech purchase I have made. Of course, it's early days yet and the thing might go up in smoke. But somehow I doubt it.

It surprises me that these Billion routers don't get better write-ups in the tech press. One thing against them is apparently their speed, a comment I have seen here about their older n models. So it was with a bit of trepidation on that front that I bought one (my prime concern was an uninterrupted stream from the ISP, which Billion is renowned for). I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised. Less than an hour out of the box it was solidly outperforming its predecessor. Okay, the speed readings taken with my iPad were about an hour or so apart (about how long it took me to fix my complicated set-up in our 3-storey house).

Top room (1 floor up from router): before 5.1Mbps - after 15.7
Next to router: 13.9 - 17.8
Bedroom (round corner and down a corridor): 12.9 - 17.9
Living room 1 floor down: 13.4 - 17.9
Front room (lots of bricks to go through): 0.03 - 17.33

The only place where it really failed was in the kitchen, which has always been a blackspot (0.29 - 0.56)

But just look at the consistency of the others. I have a 24Mgs ADSL2 service and I live less than a mile from the exchange. I was given a max possible speed of 18Mgs - so already it's virtually at the top!

And so far its been sitting working away (lots do do with three computers, two laptops, an ipad and galaxy tab, and three mobiles to contend with), with nary a blip. And I haven't got into the part where you can improve the signal yet. Give me a chance! I might not even bother.

The setup is fairly straightforward, although as is usually the case the manual lacks kosher English in places and is not always 100% clear. To me that's the weakest bit. But the web interface is pretty good, certainly offering me a host more options than I had on my previous devices - too many perhaps. I'm sure I'll not use half of them.

I cannot recommend this router enough. It's well, well worth the dosh. HTH

Update: Two days in works even better. No drops, my basic input rate is up to 23Mg. Tweaked SNR, switched to 2.4g 20MHz channel 13 (no one else close) and managed to get 19Mg on my wireless iPad (1 floor up). The 5g band is a waste of time though. Only works on the same floor. A bit of a minus.
What's this?