on 17 July 2007
Tyldesley, what can I say?! What a writer! She more than anyone truly brought Egypt to life for me. The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt taught me, even drilled me, in history. She, on the other hand, turned me into a dyed-in-the-linen brainwashed Egyptophile. Her publications are eminently readable and human. The way this book combines both a Royal and commoners perspective on the New Kingdom gives a pleasingly rounded view of Egypt's age of Empire.

One word of warning... Once you realise how much the world of AE can offer in it's history and cultural study, you can pretty much wave goodbye to all your free time, money and peaceful sleep...

"What are you doing with your break this summer?"

"I am going to sit in a lecture theatre and learn Middle Egyptian vocabulary and hieroglyphs"

"Uh, OK... Any plans for the Christmas breaks?"

"I'm going to traspe around the desert, kick the dust around and look at old carved stones and dead people"

"riiiiiight, of course"

Be that as it may, Tyldesley's books make a good night time read, being less taxing than the more student-orientated academic books after a long day, and also adding life to the facts, bringing an amused smile to my face many a time. I imagine it'd also be a good book to historically/culturally indoctrinate any older children you may have, less they become too interested in the Assyrians or other "foreign wretches"

This book left me sad, however.
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven"
Tennyson