on 18 May 2007
I had waited to buy this for ages. I saw it on TV a couple of years ago and despite the sparsity, this is the best staging of Don Giovanni I have seen on DVD. The close ups show good acting, all parts are superbly sung and the orchestra accompany them with perfection. The sound balance between Orchestra and stage is good.

The best live "on stage" that I have seen was the 1980s ENO production (I think with Leslie Garret as Zerlina), but I am not sure that's available as a video recording. So for now, this recording remains the best for me on DVD.

Enthusiastically recommended.