TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2012
It seems that EA have been trying to revive some of our favourites from previous Sims series and this is just another that many of us couldn't wait to get back. With a bit of a mixture between Makin Magic and Superstar we can re-enter the world of the rich and famous. So here's what I loved, and unfortunately what it's lacking:

I love that we have the opportunity to develop our sims into celebrities now - proper ones, not just the ones we seem to be able to accidentally create now by having lots of friends. There are a number of new careers available including a magician, singer, DJ and acrobat all of which can be accessed using the "Find a Profession" option on the computer (something I wish I'd known before searching the newspaper for jobs everyday!). There are also a few new things to cook, and recipes to read, and there seems to be a bit more focus on the vegetarian options as now we can buy recipes for those too. As with most expansions there are also a number of new traits, although not many, and new lifetime aspirations to purchase with our lifetime points and lifetime wishes to choose for our sims.

What's also great is the new online aspects. Now at first I was a little apprehensive about this option since I'm not really interested in playing online with other users but actually there's a lot more to this. You might be familiar with some of the "Community Pages" on the Sims3 website which allow players to share ideas and so on, well basically some of the ideas being passed around were challenges to try and accomplish within your game (nothing serious, just something to aim for whilst playing). But now, you actually win achievements for completing different things within the game. These achievements show up as badges which you can look at whilst playing on your player profile page (From what I can tell you have to be logged in to look at this but thats no trouble since you log in once the game starts playing - this is optional so you dont have to). I really like these achievements, there are absolutely tons of them and I particularly like having a purpose whilst playing. I'd liken it to the photography skill where you need to take certain photos in order to tick off parts of the photography journal.

So what else can this online feature do? Well if you have friends within the Sims3 community you can now send your sim (via the simport, a new easy to use feature) into their world to perform (as a magician lets say), whilst performing they are said to be "on tour" and can unlock certain achievements which go into your "tour album". This is great if you have a few online buddies but really it's an add on I don't picture many people using.

What else did I like? The new venues are nice. It's a bit like the late night expansion where finally you can enter the venues and control your sim but this time you can also change the stage for your performer to look exactly how you'd like. You also can control, if you want to, the tricks and so on that your performer is enacting at the time. This is a great feature, for so long players have complained that we have limited control of our sims whilst they work and now, the professional sims, we can control whilst they work.

But unfortunately there are a few set backs. Although I like the new costumes we can use for our performers (which we can customise too) I do feel like, considering this is an expansion pack, we haven't been given much new. The new hairstyles really are a let down, with the exception of maybe one or two at a push. As for new outfits, there really aren't any, just the performing ones which you can only access once you've unlocked them within the game as a specific performer.

Overall though, a really nice expansion pack. I'm glad that I've not wasted my money as I have been disappointed with EA a few times now due to boring expansions or stuff packs. I would recommend this as a great career expansion for your sims, hope this has been useful to someone.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?