5.0 out of 5 stars A must., 6 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Scarlatti: The Keyboard Sonatas (Audio CD)
Do you think that just because you can't copy the cds you can rate this as only 3 stars? You need to lack something to do so.

This is just the only version of Scarlatti's works you need to own. You could do without Belder's good but not good enough version, and the same could apply to Lester's recordings.

This is a must by the best harpsichord player in the last 30 years.

A must.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Feb 2008 16:02:53 GMT
Sven Felsby says:
of course a crippling copy protection that prevents the use in the car stereo is a lack!

Posted on 22 Aug 2008 00:05:19 BDT
jsm says:
Mr Gogol is wrong about the copy protection AND about the Belder (which I bought instead). The Erato copy protection is a no-no for me because I like to listen to music on my mp3 player, not because I want to cheat music companies. And the Belder is great. I've been listening to it for a month now and, like Scarlatti himself, it just gets better.

Posted on 6 Sep 2008 17:09:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2008 17:10:24 BDT
r.b. says:
I too love Scarlatti's sonatas on harpsichord and own the Ross and Belder complete sets.I disagree that Belder is inferior to Ross.In some sonatas i prefer Belder and in others Ross.I also have some of the Richard Lester recordings which i feel are very good as well and only a shade behind the other two.

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 14:48:34 BDT
I agree with Sven Felsby, jsm and r.b. I think that perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of the review process and therefore my review. The purpose is not to simply comment on the playing, which I did not criticise and indeed which I described as 'sublime'. The purpose of the review is to comment on the product as a whole and as far as I am concerned the erratic performance of the discs in anything other than a dedicated audio CD player with reasonable error correction facilities is a considerable disadvantage for various reasons. Also, I do not believe that one can ever be dogmatic enough to state, as you did, that "this is just the only version of Scarlatti's works you need to own" and that to do so is a little arrogant. I agree with r.b.'s comments about the Belder and Lester recordings, and would also add that some earlier recordings by Rafael Puyana are also well worth listening to.

Posted on 16 Nov 2009 16:31:31 GMT
Sandy Adam says:
Ignore this fellow, his view is too narrow. While Scott Ross's performances are uniformly of very high quality, no serious Scarlatti collector would wish to dismiss the many excellent performances by keyboard players such as Ralph Kirkpatrick, Valda Aveling, Wanda Landowska, Horowitz, Michelangeli, Argerich, Pletnev to mention but a few.
The reference in the original review to copy protection is valuable as this rules the set out for many, such as me, who prefer to load their CDs on a Squeezebox or similar network music adaptors.

Posted on 13 Sep 2010 23:59:39 BDT
BK says:
Blimey - I'm glad I bought the original version from Erato - ooh, years ago now when the set was first released - before all this aggressive and pointless "copy protection" malarkey started and actually, I've just completed ripping the whole set to ogg-vorbis files (4.4GB for all 570 files) and am thoroughly enjoying my rediscovery of this incredible music. (eg. K.7 - amongst many others; try not smiling at the sheer exuberant joy of it all...)

The only thing - and it's a small thing - which detracts from an otherwise perfect "reference recording" is the occasional thumping resonance from the floorboards at the recording location. Shame this wasn't spotted and corrected when the recordings were first made.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 14:36:59 GMT
T. Strainer says:
What 'Copy Protection?'

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2011 21:01:32 BDT
I have this set; I can't see any reference to copy protection anywhere in the booklet or on the box!

Posted on 22 Aug 2012 19:16:24 BDT
music&cinema says:
I was considering to buy this set. But seeing this "copy protection" thing of course set me off. There is no way I'll buy it if I cannot listen it on my MP3 player and can't import it to my iTunes. They lose customers while trying to prevent piracy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›