on August 21, 2010
I dont usually write reviews, but am a serious film lover, and having read all these poor reviews of one of my favourite films, Cat People, it made me wonder, why did I love it so much?? I think it has alot to do with the age i was when i saw it - I was 13. And maybe the problem with the film is that it works best for younger teenagers, who enjoy minor horror, dreamlike fantasy, and mild eroticism. OK, I'll concede, it is slightly dull in places.

But it has alot going for it. First off, the soundtrack, by Giorgio Moroder, is AWESOME. For years after seeing the film i was desperate to find the soundtrack album. I still love the music to Cat People, it really got under my skin. And the theme song, Putting Out Fire by David Bowie, is a killer track, and totally ahead of its time.

Secondly, I adore Nastasja Kinski. I love the dreamlike quality of her acting in this film, she is beautiful, mysterious, detached, alluring, threatening, innocent, all at once. And i loved her journey of dark discovery. The whole film is odd, and frequently dreamlike. Its meant to be an adult erotic fantasy, but really, it works best as a mixed up adolescent dream. Watching it again now, i dont love it quite as much as i did. But I still love it, and will never forget the impression it made on me when i was 13.
22 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?