on 18 October 2012
Doctor Who Scarf - Official BBC Doctor Who Scarf - Fourth Doctor Scarf Full Size by Lovarzi

I've been a Doctor Who fan for almost 20 years and I have always wanted a Fourth Doctor scarf and I remember at some point, probably one of the first things I ever got off the Internet was the old BBC Doctor Who scarf pattern. I always meant to ask my Granny to do it for me because My Granny was a really good knitter. But for various reasons, it just never seemed to happen.My Granny passed away last year.

Scince then, I began to look into getting a scarf. Now you go on Ebay and Etsy, even here n Amazon, you will find long multicoloured scarves. Some of them are excellent, and command quite high figures, and deservidly so, because the Colours and look are there. Others, well... not so much. The colours in some are all wrong, some have blue instead of gray etc, or some scarfs are made with stockingette stitch or crocheted. Now theres nothing wrong with them, as functional scarfs, functional but very long scarfs with a Doctor who vibe, they will do the job, but the one of best pieces of advice is you can't spend the same money twice. And whilst getting on of these scarfs in the would fill a void, in the end it would be a waste of money because I know in my heart they are wrong. And saving for a high end one plus shipping is not something I can justify.

My own thoughts were to make one. I have had some sucess with this, but have not completed a full length Scarf, because I get caught up with colours or I don't feel my own knitting is good enough. It has improved but I have not completed one yet. And Winter is coming, the time one would most need a scarf.....

Enter Lovarzi

Lovarzi have made what I consider to be an affordable and very good scarf. There customer service has been great, because when I saw their prototype, I'll admit I had some problems and I emailed them saying where it could be improved. I'm glad to say a few of my suggestions have filtered through and I guess if I'm feeling egotistical about it, I feel theres a little bit of me in the scarfs.

Now a lot of people come on and just slam any new Doctor Who product and say, this is wrong, that is wrong etc.I'm a fan, I know this. I'm not going to do that. Lets look at the positives

- Every colour on that scarf is correct. I have seen blue, white and orange in some other scarfs, but no, it's khaki green, purple, yellow, red, gray, tan and taupey brown. The brown is a massive pain to match on the original, by the way because it was heathered yarn. It has caused no end of pain trying to find a good match.

- It's garter stich, as I said.

- The pattern follows an the actual on screen scarf. It is in fact the same pattern as used in classic Stories,Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks and Revenge of the Cybermen.

- It is instantly recognisable as A Tom baker Doctor Who scarf. I get people compliment me on it and say "I used to watch Tom Baker back in the 70's" and so on. So its a conversation starter.

- It's Acrylic, so you won't have to worry about it's stretching or shrinking to muchj, or for those who have Wool allergies. I'm reasonably certain it's machine washable, though how you accomplish that I have no idea. I'm thinking wrap it up in a pillowcase, or just hand wash it, as I probably will.

- It comes in a spiffy little zip bag, which you can store it through the winter months. Or use for something else.

- Add a big coat and an Indiana Jones brown hat, a bag of jelly babies and boof, instant Haloween costume.

- What an excellent Christmas gift this would be. Or Birthdays, or Hanukkah, birthdays. Whatever, Great gift. Full stop.

- Finally, most important it keeps your neck and chest warm.Every year I usually get chest infections due to my Asthma, and my scarf is going to help prevent that. I hope.

To sum up this review. I am extremely happy with my scarf. I wear it with pride. It's me flying the colours, literally , as a Doctor Who fan. So if your a fan, you know a fan and want to get them a gift for Christmas, or your not a fan, but having a 12 foot multicoloured scarf is your idea of a good time, this is the perfect scarf for you.

0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?