1.0 out of 5 stars I could not get on with this book, 19 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics (Paperback)
Unfortunately I binned this book after only reading a few chapters.
I simply could not find a good enough storyline to keep me interested. At an early point in the book, it could have got interesting with a potential clash over two rival candidates, but then in the next few pages, the story ditched the other candidate without any description as to why they pulled out of the race, leaving the way clear for the main character to pull together his campaign.
The author when introducing quite minor characters, overly describes them, what they are wearing, what their thoughts are etc, but without actually giving you any background as to why they are in the story. Also the characters spend too much time reminiscing about past events, which seem to be meaningless to the story.
It may be that I should have given it longer and tried to read more of the book before judging it so harshly, but I have read books written in this manner before and ended up knowing as little about the story at the end of the book as when I started reading it!
I am sure that not everyone will agree with my review, but those who have similar reading taste to myself (see my other reviews) may also struggle with this one.
Thanks for reading my review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Feb 2009 21:49:24 GMT
Book Beaver says:
Surely a reviewer needs to complete the book even if the book turns out to be not to their liking?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2009 13:47:19 BDT
Hi Book Beaver, I do agree somewhat with you, but I also feel that the fact that I did not finish it could give an idea to other likeminded readers that it is not worth them buying this book. I tried to be as fair as possible as I realise that there are a lot of people out there who will very much enjoy the book, I am hoping that those who enjoy the same type of books as myself (if you look at my other reviews it should give an idea as to what type of books I enjoy) will gain more from my review than others with different tastes.
Thank you for your comment.
Sue.

Posted on 28 Sep 2009 13:57:37 BDT
Private says:
If you don't have the gumption and brain capacity to actually bother to finish reading the book (let alone admitting as much in your 'review'), then you really shouldn't bother posting a review - it's common sense really. Why not do the decent thing and delete the review on the basis that you have absolutely no idea how the story ends?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2010 13:04:50 BDT
Why be so rude Private? I have already acknowleged that perhaps I have not been as fair as I normally am by not finishing the book in my review, but I still feel that my reasons for not finishing it are valid and will help some people decide that they may not wish to purchase the book. We are all entitled to our opinions and at least I have tried to give some sort of reasons for my dislke of the book, rather than a lot of people who simply make one statement that they loved or hated the book and expect that to be a fair review.
Please do not make comments about other peoples reviews if you cannot find it within yourself to be considerate or fair.

Posted on 18 Apr 2014 11:30:54 BDT
Bob Powel says:
I have not read the book but greatly enjoyed the film of the same name starring John Travollta (as a Clinton lookalike and our own Emma Thompson and Adrian Lester). The writer finally (and reluctantly ) came forward after he was exposed . He is Joe Klein a columnist for Time.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2014 11:40:51 BDT
Hi Bob, yes I had heard the movie is considered to be very good, perhaps I should give the it a go as sometimes the screen writers manage to make much more sense when they manage to put the story on the screen!
Thanks for your comments.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›