on 29 November 2010
It seems that I am one of the fortunate ones, as I have had my 101 for a little over a week now which had given me plenty of time to play and set the unit up ready for Christmas.

I have to agree with other comments on here, the unit is quite flexible, but I don't see how this would be an issue if handled correctly..not sure if it would cope with a drop from any height!

The screen is not as responsive as I had hoped for compared to other tablets ie: Samsung Galaxy Tab and the ipad.

Two major issues I have with this unit..firstly, it is not supplied with Android 2.2 only 2.1 update 1..so anything 'flash' is still not available, I have contacted customer support and after hours on the phone and numerous emails, finally had a response that stated ' Froyo update is still being tested internally, will let you know when it is ready'.

Now for most, I don't think this will be an issue and we all hope that it will be available before Christmas..the worrying thing here is that 'Froyo' isn't new, I've had it on my phone for quite some time now so why is it causing such a problem for Archos?

I just hope that this isn't a sign that there are bigger compatibility problems between the two.

The 2nd major issue I have is the wifi range..this is the worst I have ever experienced on a 'N' network, even my daughters Nintendo ds has a better range. Unless I am sat right next to the router, I only get 40% network coverage..!

I can confirm that with a little playing around, you can indeed install the 'Official marketplace' and thus open up the full Android app's, (Angry birds is great fun on a screen this size)but again, beware that not all app's will resize and one of two were just unusable.

Now I hate everything 'Apple' but after playing with an ipad, I am left wondering why I have purchased such a cumbersome brute..it lacks smoothness and polish, there is nothing to protect the screen and it just feels cheap!

That aside, it plays everything video wise that I have thrown at it and makes a great digital picture frame.

I don't hate it, but I'm just missing the 'wow' factor that I experienced with the Tab and ipad..It's too big to hold in your hand and not as big as the ipad..I guess this sums the unit up, it's somewhere in-between the two and that is reflected in the pricing and performance.

As for Archos, well their customer service is none existent and they have lied as the box clearly states 'Android 2.2'
0Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.