on 28 January 2014
I got this book when my baby was 6 months old and I was desperate for more sleep, thinking now she's starting solids she must be able to sleep for longer.
It has some good ideas to implement if you haven't already, for example routines and using key phrases as sleep cues. And as others said it offers a lot of reassurance too.
However after trying the techniques for two weeks or so I had to admit things were actually worse, and my baby was waking even more frequently than before!
I realised that by following the first step the book suggests, which is removing the baby from the breast as soon as she starts falling asleep, my baby never actually got to the fatty hind-milk she needed and as a result was waking up from real hunger again and again.
(I actually do stop her now when she falls asleep during feeding, but then offer her more once she's perked up again after a story or other distractions).
At 6 months she was also probably too young to take in all the calories she needed during the day (she is a super-active girl!) so it might have been too early for her to sleep through the night.
The other problem was the book's suggestion to do whatever it takes so the baby gets lots of naps during the day. That didn't work for my baby, because she just happens to need less sleep than other babies, and so wasn't tired enough for a good night's sleep. And because we did whatever worked to get her to sleep, we actually reinforced her falling asleep with our help, feeding or rocking or driving around, rather than teaching her to sleep on her own.
My daughter is now 10 months old and things are much better. We did have to go through a phase of teaching her to fall asleep without our help. We did it at 8.5 months when she was taking in lots of food, and with the support and guidance of an expert health visitor (through the NHS). I must say she did cry, which was really hard to hear but didn't last long and was better for everyone in the long run. I initially stayed in the room and picked her up when I felt she needed a cuddle but otherwise tried to let her do it on her own, and just be there for reassurance (actually not too different from what the book suggests).
She does cry now sometimes for a few minutes before falling asleep, but I can handle it because I know she is fed & comfortable, tired and is exactly where she needs to be to sleep (and actually if I go in I just disturb her and it takes longer).
I hope this is helpful, I think you need to get to know your baby, be patient if they're still young, and get professional guidance where possible, tailored to your personal adorable little bundle : ) Good luck!
What's this?