11 of 14 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As an avid NFL & Madden fan like a kid in a sweet shop each year I look forward with geat anticipation to the Madden launch & purchase the game on the day of release year after year. Much like Fifa In recent years the game itself often falls short of the anticipation but when you have a year on year release it is understandable. This years version again achieves great highs but again in some instances falls short. Each year the franchsie moves forward in some instances but seemingly falls back in others so you never quite see the game achieving the highs it should.
After a few days of playing the game Pros and Cons are summarised below.
- As usual the graphics are exceptional although there is little difference to previous versions.
- Presentation is flawless with the usual EA polish
- Commentary continues on from last year and is again very good. However there are still moments when you score a touchdown and there is a delay with the commentators talking about somthing from the previous play and they dont quite capture the event. (A consolation TD should be potrayed diffrently than a game winning OT play but this isnt neccasairly reflected in the commentary)
- The Collision detection was improved last year and continues again this year. There are still some issues but its a big improvemnt on previous years. Blocking from the tackles is far better and u cant just use a quick Defensive End to easily sprint outside and sack the QB.
- XBox live as usual is superb with more options than ever. The lobbies split the people who quit games and those who make stupid plays on every 4th down etcto the players who want a proper game
- The draft process in Connected carears is the same as last year which was a massive upgrade on previous years.
- Connected Careers Owner mode is the big change this year. This was a fantastic idea and showed EA listened to fans, It adds a totally new dimension and has unlimited growth, potentially even a game in its own right. (Sega SI are you listening) However It sometimes feels a bit generic and doesnt quite capture the individuality of each franchise.
- Some very strange glitches. Ive had a TD disallowed for being out of bounds when I literally ran into the end zone untouched. (I would expect a Patch to resolve shortly)
- Again there are glitches where you can score a TD and run through the end of the statdium. This is fairly trivial but youd expect it to be resolved by now.
- Another very minor issue is on kick offs there is poor collision detection between the kicker actually kicking and the ball connection. (Very minimal and trivial but u would expect this to be resolved)
- The running game was woeful in Madden 2012, improved massively in 2013 but falls somehwere in between this year, there is a very minimal split second delay either from hand off from QB to RB or WR taking a catch and then running which is frustrating and can result in plays not having the impact they should. This just isnt as fluid as last years version.
- The games biggest plus this year Owner Mode also turns out to be the biggest dissapointemnt. It just feels Like EA have missed a trick and its too generic for each team. For example The press interface should be far bigger and if you make boastfull comments and loose you should be under pressure. eg The press in New York should be far more intrusive than say Jcksonville. Expectation levels in each City should vary massively. Again crowds could boo in ceratin area such as New York or get behind the team in say Green Bay. This could could link in and impact a players confidence streak. The stadium upgrade section is just far too simplistic. You simple spend an amound and Hey presto your stadium is improved in that section to the Max. This could be far more bespoke and you should be able to have an input on appearnace etc, when its done should impact the rest of the stadium etc. The growth potential in this facet is massive and could even be a game in its own right.
- NCAA football is not availble for XBox in the Uk which means you cant link the 2 games and transfer draft picks on to Madden
In summary Madden 25 is a great game in isolation but doesnt improve on previous versions as much as it should with Owner Mode not quite having the impact it could.