on 22 August 2012
I downloaded the first chapter on my Kindle and thought it seemed promising, so gave it a try. But by the end of the second chapter I was struggling and it didn't get any better. It's impossible to tell which were Emma's real experiences and which she elaborates in the hope of a laugh, as every one of her stories seems completely improbable and not particularly funny. And the stories of her parent's travels through Europe are equally as puzzling - they got locked in a deserted hotel - how, why? I kept waiting for the punch line to kick in but it never did. She just seems to amble from one disaster to another and truth be told, I found myself getting rather depressed by the time I was half way through and just willing the bus to get to New York so the whole sorry tale would end.

If Emma was trying to turn herself into the dizzy but likeable heroin who finds herself unintentionally falling into one hilarious scrape after another then she's failed. In fact, I found her rather irritating and couldn't understand how a 22 year old Oxford graduate could be so completely unworldly and at times downright stupid. This was set in 1989 not 1979, who had not heard of a microwave? And if she didn't know how to use one, surely she might have asked the supposedly slick and worldly wise Dee for some advice? Dee was even more irritating, in that she was supposed to be the smart one, yet she just seems to follow Emma like a lamb to the slaughter into these ridiculous situations.

Unfortunately this is my first Emma Kennedy book and from reading the reviews I clearly should have read The Tent, The Bucket and Me first. This book helped pass the time on my tube journey to and from work but I was certainly never in any danger of belly laughing on the train.
What's this?