TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had every version of PaintShop Pro ever since I got Version 6 for free on a magazine cover disk, MANY years ago. I loved it, and instantly upgraded to PSP 7.

The odd thing is, PSP7 has been one of the first things I've installed on every PC ever since. The later versions of Paintshop Pro... not so much.

Yes, of course, each new incarnation includes a couple of new features, and on the quite rare occasions when it would be nice to use one of them, I fire up the latest version. Then I spend a while fumbling my way through the less-than-user-friendly interface, use the effect, save the picture... and head back to good ol' version 7 again to finish the job.

Or, increasingly, I just use The GIMP...

If you have no other 2D image editing software, you could certainly do MUCH worse than PSP X5, but before handing over all that cash, you might like to have a look at something like the GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program), which is completely and utterly free with no hidden charges or extras, and which (unlike Corel) won't insist that you sign up to their 'community' before you can even access a help file (This is bad enough, but even after giving them my details and signing up, I find the darn thing STILL doesn't load the help files. A MAJOR black mark to Corel for this, and it's the reason this is a two-star review).

I've found that GIMP will do just about everything I wanted PSP X5 to do. It may not have the easiest interface to master, but it's no worse than Paintshop's, and if you really felt the need you could certainly buy a very good 'teach yourself GIMP' book for less than half of the price of PSP X5. And when GIMP updates, you just download the next one for free, instead of having to pay a small fortune for two or three more Paintshop Pro features.

Bottom line... It's OK, but seriously, you should check out some alternatives before buying.
33 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?