on 7 March 2014
First, Bitdefender is a very good antivirus product.

HOWEVER, my experience with the company and their agents has not been good. Some time before my license was due to expire, Bitdefender sent me a lot of offers, inviting me to renew early at a discounted price. They were good offers, so I did renew early. However, 7 days before the original license would have expired I received an email from a company called "Digital River", who claimed to be Bitdefenders' agents, saying "when you purchased BitDefender, you accepted an Auto Renewal facility with Digital River on behalf of BitDefender", and that therefore they were going to renew my subscription for another year. I certainly never knowingly accepted an "auto renewal facility"; this is something I would never do. I can only presume that I failed to notice some pre-checked tickbox in an obscure corner of the web form.

As I had already renewed my subscription, directly with Bitdefender, obviously I didn't need a duplicate subscription. Luckily, included in the email from Digital River was a link to a website where, it was stated, I could cancel the Digital River subscription. Naturally, I tried to do that. Having apparently accepted my details, the website directed me to another page, where I was invited to log in again with my email address and password. This failed. I thought I might have got my password wrong, so I asked for my password to be sent to me. I then tried to log in again, using the email address that Digital River had used to communicate with me (the one I had used to buy the original subscription) and the password that had just been sent to me. The response was always the same: "Enter a valid email address"!

I sent an email to Bitdefender's "Help" department, explaining the situation and asking them to cancel the renewal instigated by their agents, but received NO REPLY WHATSOEVER.

From all this it is clear to me that:

- There is no synchronization between the renewal activities of Bitdefender and their agents, Digital River.
- The D.R. "unsubscribe" website is specifically designed to *prevent* you from cancelling your subscription.
- Bitdefender's customer service is useless.

Buy this at your peril!
66 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?