5.0 out of 5 stars Pixel perfect, flexible connector options, useful custom buttons, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24" IPS Monitor Black (Electronics)
My step up from a 19" monitor to a widescreen 24" monitor was not without some serious research. This review describes why this monitor is the best I've ever owned.

Pros
----
Its aspect ratio is 16:10. So what, I hear you ask? Well, monitors that are 16:9 ratio (as your widescreen TV might be) are really using an aspect ratio designed for movies not computers. If you watch a lot of movies on your computer monitor then a 16:9 aspect ratio might be fine for you. For others, using their computers for email, social media sites and programming will appreciate the extra couple of centimetres in height this monitor gives you.

Despite some YouTube videos of this monitor demonstrating some 'backlight bleeding', that is where the light from behind the pixels is not totally blocked and can give a washed out effect (especially in the corners), this was totally absent from my monitor. Then again, I sit pretty much square in front of my monitor; unlike a TV which has to be viewable from all manner of angles a computer monitor usually doesn't, so maybe if I sat to the side of my monitor I might discover some bleeding that is not otherwise visible.

It was pixel perfect. No dead pixels. No permanently bright ones. Just like the manufacturer promises.

It's an IPS monitor. I don't pretend to fully understand the full difference between IPS and standard LED monitors except that IPS is supposed to give better colour rendition, better contrast and better viewing angles . All I can say is this monitor gives me excellent colour rendition, superb contrast and I couldn't really care about viewing angles as this is not a TV (see my point above!). In short, a truly excellent image without flickering, ghosting, fuzziness or any other such unwanted effect.

Two of the four buttons on the side can be "customised" from their default Brightness and Contrast settings (which, once set tends to be left alone). I used them to switch between my normal PC and my work laptop which I plug in using a VGA cable. So one button changes it image to my laptop, the other to my PC. So useful.

You can connect to this monitor via VGA, DVI or DisplayPort connectors. And there's a built in USB hub too. The ultimate in flexibility.

Cons
----
It's a heavy monitor. As I found out when I mounted it on a desk clamp arm, as the arm sagged a bit. So I bought a new arm that could easily deal with this monitor's weight and used the old arm for my old 19" monitor. Now I have two monitors connected to my PC. Great for programming but probably overkill for general use.

Slightly more expensive than run-of-the-mill LED monitors. See my point about IPS monitors above. But you definitely get what you pay for here.

In conclusion this is, without doubt, the best monitor I've ever owned and the screen space it gives you is astounding. Add to the bonus of the 16:10 aspect ratio extra room at the top and the customisable buttons and Dell has a true winner here.

----

[If you found this review useful please up-vote. If you didn't don't down-vote - just add a constructive comment so I can improve this and my other reviews]

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]