on 12 December 2010
I've had these headphones for several months now, using them via BT on my phone and via the wire on my laptop, and I'm extremely happy with them.

Pros: excellent sound, noise cancelling works well, being able to plug them in via wire, comfortable on my ears.

Cons: not as much volume or bass as my PortaPros, BT delay not great for watching videos, sometimes there is an odd pressure when using noise cancellation.

Niggles: No play/pause/forward/back functionality when wired, buttons don't always respond on the first press, shipped with a battery cover that wasn't properly attached.

These points in more detail:

Sound - As I said the sound coming out of these is excellent. I hear sounds in songs I've never heard before, and the overall tonal balance is very good. As I also mentioned, though, they are not bass heavy and I do miss that from the PortaPros, but tbh the tones from the 310s are more balanced and allows me to hear more. I think I actually prefer hearing more of the music over hearing heavy bass.

Sound Volume - They could be louder, but again like with the bass, I don't actually mind and now that I've gotten used to it I think I prefer not blowing out my ears. No need for me to bring on premature hearing loss. :)

Noise Cancellation - This works quite decently, I've used it to muffle out street noise or in the office when I wanted some quiet time. It doesn't cancel out noise 100%, of course, but it certainly makes a difference. They do, however, sometimes have strange artifacting that feels like extra pressure on the eardrum, it usually doesn't bother me but in a few rare environments it's been amplified enough for me to turn off the noise cancellation.

Fit - My ears are usually pretty sensitive to headphones, both in-ear and over-ear, and I've always had troubles finding headphones that fit comfortably. I loved my PortaPros but they would usually start to hurt after an hour. Although the 310s initially caused a little discomfort when I first got them, this went away after a few days and I can now wear them for hours without a problem. Whatever foam they use in there works great.

BT Reception - Bluetooth isn't perfect and I have on occasion experienced cut-outs when I've stuck my hand into my pocket covering up my phone. But this isn't entirely unexpected and the cut-outs have been so few that it hasn't bothered me. There is also a slight delay in the BT reception but again, it's not an issue if you're listening to music or playing most games. Watching video, I would imagine, could be annoying.

BT Functionality - All the buttons work with the most recent iPhone updates, forward, back, volume, play/pause, etc. Often I have to push the forward, back or the play/pause button twice to get it to register, I'm not sure if that's because of connectivity issue or some "feature" I don't understand to prevent these buttons from being hit by accident. Not a big deal, really.

Wired Functionality - I love being able to plug these in so as not to use the battery up, or to get rid of the BT delay. I do wish I could play/pause or switch songs while these are plugged into my iPhone, but that functionality is missing unfortunately.

Build Quality - I had a small problem with the USB cover not being attached properly and had to spend 15 minutes with a jeweler's screw-driver to sort it out. That aside I think the overall build quality is excellent.

All in all, I love these headphone and think they're worth the money. Sure, there are a negative points, but I can be pretty picky and they are outweighed by the positives imo. Highly recommended.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?