on 3 September 2009
I never read Mangan's column in The Guardian, I am more of a Tim Dowling fan and not mad on "Ooooo, isn't my life wacky?!" columns at the best of times, but I came to read this as a colleague was ranting and distraught that the column had disappeared (a brief hiatus as it has been promoted to a whole page at the back of the mag), and I am very pleased that I did.

Mangan's take on life happily - or worryingly - corresponds with my own. I too am not particularly impressed with the modern world although thankfully my family was a bit freer with the cash when it mattered. She writes well and her years with her head in a book have clearly paid dividends with a use of language that indicates a love of English in all its shaggy dog glory. I don't think that they are as hilarious as the other reviewers here (that's where Tim Dowling comes in) but there are certainly some very funny parts and humour is, after all, a realm of very personal preferences.

The book is divided roughly into five sections including a final one on Mangan's take on television, something that would usually bore me to death but was actually really engaging and bang-on-the-money.

If you're a train or bus commuter this is also an ideal book for you. You can get through several columns in a journey and you'll be engaged enough for the tinny emissions from the iPod sporting idiot opposite not to disturb you.

Just one thing - there are only so many times you can use the word discombobulate, brilliant word though it is.
8 people found this helpful