on 15 May 2012
Got one of these from a certain high-street electronics retailer for a fraction of this price and really glad I didn't pay the full list price as I have not been impressed.

First of all the hardware. You have to set the date & time and also your stride length. Easily done by referring to the manual. It displays either your step count or distance walked (although this only seems to be in kms even if you set the software to imperial values). There is no visual display of how many calories you've burned on the unit itself (not on mine anyway). There is no way to reset the display which wouldn't be an issue but again on my unit the step count doesn't always reset. I'm also not convinced on its accuracy as I used my sons pokeball to compare values during a busy day yesterday. This one said I'd done about 3,500 steps (my normal office work average) but the pokeball said over 9,000 steps and on this occasion was more likely to be correct since I was constantly on the move for a couple of hours. It's a shame as the hardware is quite sleek and is powered by a single CR2032, known in IT circles as a bios battery which is a definite plus (for me anyway as working in IT means they are easy to obtain).

Now the software. My advice is don't bother. I had to register with their website to download it (junkmail will surely follow), for which you get a flash-style app which appears to also link to the other devices in the range. Unfortunately the pedometer seems to be very reluctant to transfer data to the application. I managed it once and got two days of data into the app and it hasn't worked again since. It now just keeps telling me "There is no pedometer data to display". The hardware displays a small knight-rider style LCD thing while connected but the data never seems to arrive.

The software itself will allow you to set-up profiles for multiple users which is a nice touch if you like to share your gadgets. If you ever want to delete any of those user accounts though you will need to know the password as you have to log-in to the user account before you can delete it. Blank passwords are also not allowed. The user set-up page allows you to enter your details, such as age and height (presumably to calculate your calorie burn). There is a graph and table function to display your data which might have been more useful if the data transfer worked properly. At this point I will mention that all my testing has been with Windows XP systems - your experience may differ if you are using an alternate version of windows or if your device works better than mine appears to.

My advice then is to ignore the idea that you may get calorie burn info from this thing. A free MFP account will do that calculation for you based on walking time and speed. Alternatively an hour with a search engine is long enough to find all the information and create a spreadsheet that does the same thing.
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?