on 12 December 2011
I bought this because I am teaching it for A'level. It is some years since I read any of Carter's work and I had forgotten how much I liked it the first time around.

It hasn't lost its magic. Carter creates a world in which magic seems quite normal, transformations are part of a person's development and we accept the mythical as real.

The title story is genuinely chilling, and her characters are believable so their behaviour does make sense, giving the tale flow and pace.

I have enjoyed rediscovering an author I loved when I was much younger - and finding she still has new delights to offer.
What's this?