on 16 September 2009
I bought a 45rpm many moons ago of JT's Cannonball Express. At first I did not like it. However as my taste changed it grew on me but I never bought anything else of Big Joe's until now. The album starts with Shake Rattle n Roll and for the next 4 tracks you would be forgiven to think only the lyrics have been changed - why alter a winning format? Nevertheless the lyrics with their innuendos and sexual slang make up for the repetition of the arrangements. After track 5 it changes to a more varied selection. There is one slow track which reveals JT's limitations. My favourite is still Cannonball Express.
I am very glad I bought this CD as it encompasses most of my likes - good danceable rhythms, slick lyrics, wonderful jazz/blues arrangements and a sense that the musicians were having fun. I would have loved to have seen this band perform.
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?