on 10 September 2012
I have a couple of pre requirements when choosing a book with mountaineering as its theme. First off the author must still be alive, I don't want to read a book of daring do and close calls when ultimately the author was killed on the next climb. Secondly I don't want a blow by blow account of the trips between camps on big siege style climbs, I want to understand the writer, what motivates them and what drives them.

Nick is very much alive so it ticks that box. When you read the book you occasionally marvel at that fact and admire him all the more for it!

The book ticks my second pre-requirement too, it will inspire you to climb more, to understand that we all need to make sacrifices whatever level we want to climb at. Nick has made the ultimate move, given up a full time, well paid and secure job to climb full time. The book helps us to understand what drives him, what motivates him, the doubts that he suffers like the rest of us and the fear he confronts in normal life and in the mountains.

For me it was an inspirational read, and I didn't want to put it down. Get it, you'll love it!

Rob Johnson