on 10 February 2013
First about the hardware: One of the main reasons I purchased the Doxie is because it supports scanning without being attached to a computer. I normally keep it near the kitchen table, and daily scan things like mail, homework and school assignments for the kids and magazine articles that I want to keep for reference. Being able to power the Doxie with 4 AAA rechargeable batteries really helps this process, and I am able to do 100-120 scans on a single charge.

Then the software: A few times a week I pop-out the SD card and plug it into my iMac for processing. I really like the concept of the scanner saving the scans in a jpeg format on an SD card because this eliminates any dependency on drivers, OS versions. etc. This means that on my next OS upgrade won't have to spend any time on getting the scanner back to a working state. The Doxie software itself has a very simple and intuitive user interface, but packs a lot of power under the hood. I basically have 2 workflows. Articles, school materials etc. go straight into Evernote from the Doxie app. For more privacy sensitive material I create a pdf with OCR information. Being able to perform OCR on the scanned document is critical in my opinion, because it makes the pdf documents searchable. The OCR that's built into the Doxie software works very well in my experience. A minor negative point I have with the software is that the OCR process blocks the user interface. It would be great if during running OCR on a document one could continue to staple and rename the other scans.

So to summarize, I'm very happy with the Doxie One. This has been one of my best IT equipment purchases over the last years.
0Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?