on 9 January 2014
As other reviewers have said, the subject of alcoholism in teenage girls deserves to be aired. It's just a pity that Alastair Campbell's book is so poor I would not recommend it to anyone. Some of the five star reviews have praised the wonderful characterisation in the book. This made me wonder firstly, "Did they read the same book as me?" and secondly, "What else are they reading that this book is an example of good characterisation?"
Each chapter is churned out like a ghost written magazine article...."MY SISTER'S BATTLE WITH ALCOHOLISM.... and how it affected us." "MY DAUGHTER NEARLY DIED DUE TO DEMON DRINK.... and how it affected us." etc. etc. That style of writing might be bearable for a three page magazine article but page after page, chapter after chapter in a novel it just served to raise my annoyance level. The chapter "written" by Sheila the magistrate, with her lapses into le franglais, is particularly nauseating.
The way the author has shoehorned in a reference to each character's own reliance on drink is also cliched beyond belief. I may be missing something but I could not work out why Hannah turned to drink in the first place. Very little development of the relationship between Hannah and her mother.
Being a glutton for punishment I then read each and every one of the published Amazon reviews (most of which are 5 star I have to admit). Many of them appear to me as though they have been written by the same person. If that is the case then I can take some comfort that the five star rating has been engineered by some spin doctor and doesn't truly reflect the public's opinion of the book. In any case I am totally pi**ed-off at having paid £4.99 for the Kindle version of this.
2 people found this helpful