Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

5.0 out of 5 stars 5.8 to 5.9, 24 Dec. 2013
This review is from: WD 750 GB 2.5-inch SATA Internal Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
My two year old Sony Vaio laptop's Hitachi drive was on the way out - programs crashing, BSODs, hearing it go "clonk" while working and then not being able to access the drive and having to power off etc.

First I looked at Samsung and Crucial SSDs - amazed at how far the prices have fallen and wanting to avoid these old style hard drives again with their moving parts, but still not wanting to pay possibly around 300 pounds when the equivalent in HDD is around £50.

Although another Hitachi drive in the past was great, I wanted to avoid Hitachi this time as I found the hard drive division had been bought by Western Digital. Yep, even though this drive is a WD I wanted to avoid them too as I've not had great experience in the past with WD longevity.

So I looked at a couple of Toshiba ones, one of which had good reviews on Amazon, but on other sites the same drive series but with a higher capacity had poorer reviews. Toshiba had also acquired Fujitsu a few years ago - another make of HDD I hadn't had much faith in.

So my search went on and I looked at Samsung, now (HDDs not SSD) bought out by Seagate who I've also had failures with!

Then I read an article written in October 2013 which said "Marc Prieur, of, here are the hard drives failures rates according to a French e-tailer as of May 2013:

1. Toshiba 1.15%
2. Seagate 1.44%
3. Western Digital 1.55%
4. Samsung 2.24%. Note that the Samsung hard drive division is now owned by Seagate and consists mostly of rebranded Seagate drives.
5. Hitachi 2.40%"

This again pushed me back in the Toshiba direction and definitely away from Hitachi!

But then I started looking at moving from 500GB to 750GB and from 5400rpm to 7200rpm. The speed, I found though, was not necessarily an indicator that modern drives are faster (too much to go into in this review!)

In the end, I just went for this drive.

When I first noticed signs of failure, I used my Acronis software to create a drive image onto an external drive. I also made an Acronis boot CD.

When this new drive arrived, I took the failing Hitachi out and put this WD in. I booted up into Acronis and restored the image. I then got an error that BOOTMGR was missing and so my only option was to press CTRL ALT DEL to reboot on a never ending cycle. The solution to this I found was to put the old drive back in, create a Windows recovery CD, re install this new drive, booting now from the Windows recovery CD. This found errors and fixed them, but I still had the missing BOOTMGR. Some people have had to run the Windows recovery CD 3 times! With me it was 2. After that, the new drive loaded booted into Windows.

As for speed, it's hard to say if it's a faster drive apart from the "Windows Experience Index" going from a 5.8 to 5.9 for the drive. Whether the booting and running faster is because it's really a faster drive or because it replaced a slowing down, failing drive, I don't know.

I've only had this drive a day and so time will tell how it goes. If money were no object, I'd have bought a SSD as failure rates now seem to be a few percentage points below HDDs. I'm sure they're better for laptops too, as far as no moving parts is concerned. For me now though, until SSD prices fall furhter, I'm happy to have a WD system free of crashes

[Add comment]