on 16 August 2004
Where can i start with this book? 'Brilliant' doesn't seem to do it enough justice! This book is a political/conspiracy mix and Dan constantly 'flips' between the two throughout the book to keep driving the story forward, he leaves the political side with a 'cliff-hanger' while he switches back to the conspiracy which he then leaves on a 'cliff-hanger' before going back to the political game that is going on throughout the book. This was a very refreshing approach from Dan Brown as I was beginning to think his books could only contain characters with a strange penchant for tweed!
I was very surprised how quickly I raced through this book and at the end even found myself wondering if it was better than the Da Vinci Code... I think it's just that little bit better, I'm not sure why but Deception Point really made me want to read it where-as the Da Vinci Code simply intrigued me with interesting theories to keep me reading but it never really sucked my in so that I couldn't put it down.
This book is a very well balanced piece of work from Dan and one I believe has been slightly overlooked by most due to the Da Vinci Code, not because it's a bad book - personally I found it to be alot better as a whole than the Da Vinci Code - but because it isn't controversial enough.
Admittedly this book isn't perfect, there are times when you're left slightly sceptical at how characters get out of a few of the situations they're in (not because the story misleads but because they suddenly get the upper hand rather too conveniently) which does spoil the book a bit and is one of Dan's main failings when he writes (he always seems to make even the simplest 'action' sequence too complex for it to be believable). Aside from this I cannot recommend the book highly enough, Deception Point is the book to read if you're a Dan Brown sceptic.
0Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?