on 24 August 2010
My partner is French and for the first few chapters I enjoyed laughing along to the author's comments about the shortcomings of the French. But in the end that's all this seemed to be about. I finished it with a rather bad taste in my mouth and thought that if I was the author's (French) children I'd be quite depressed that my mother had just spent a couple of hundred pages running down my country.

It's not that I disagree with all she says, in fact, I think there is much that is accurate but I do not see the love/hate/love relationship with France that other reviewers (and indeed the author) claim. Yes she says she loves France and has chosen to stay there over England but gives no real sense of why. I can remember: a preference for the healthcare system, mild (but ambiguous) praise for the schools and (a rather bizarre) explanation of why the Sexes don't hate each other in France as much as they do in England. A rather weak case for loving a country.

I wish she'd given a bit more of a flavour of fine wine as well as the smelly cheese.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.