on 13 August 2012
This was a novel with an interesting subject matter, which held my attention from the start. The synposis is both simple and complicated: Corrine Woodrow was convicted of a murder in the 1980s, but recent DNA evidence has thrown this into question. Interestingly, the novel begins on the assumption that rather than being innocent, Corrine was acting in conjunction with somebody else.

One of the really interesting aspects to this novel is that the victim of the murder is not revealed until the end of the novel - however, this almost seemed an irrelevance (when I was reading it anyway!) as I found myself very keen to put together all the pieces of the jigsaw, which generally happens to me when I read good crime novels!

A couple of the 1980s references seemed a tiny bit forced, but I was a little girl in the 80s and so it's hard to say, but the descriptions of the ra-ra skirts, Michael Jackson/Madonna music and perms seemed just slightly contrived, as if in trying to remind us we were in the 80s a cliche was risked, but that's such a minor point it doesn't seem worth losing a star over. In any case, it helped 'remember' which decade we were in.

A really enjoyable read - I haven't read any novels by Cathi Unsworth before but I'll eagerly look out for some more on here.
What's this?